Thursday, April 12, 2012

What Do You Rely On?

When is the last time you've gone an entire day without eating?

What would you feel like?

Tired?
Cranky?
Sick?

In Matthew, Jesus himself says "It is written,“‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (Matthew 4:4)

He also says "Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." (John 6:35)

So my question is, if we believe the bible to be true, if we know it's reliable, why don't we rely on it?

So much of our bible reading is rushed, hurried, are hardly there. We give God our last instead of firsts, what's left over rather than what's best.

Remember when Jesus said "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." (Matthew 5:6)?

God's people are supposed to hunger and thirst for Him! We are supposed to be filled by His word & His presence. But all too often, we seek fulfillment from lots of other things. We rely on physical food, wordly pleasures, approval of people rather than God and His word.

I wonder if the reason we don't seek God, is the same reason Adam & Eve didn't seek Him in the garden. There was too much shame, too much guilt, too much fulfillment from fruit of the world. The enemy would love for us to avoid time with the LORD. He knows that the less time with spend with God, the more time we are doing life on our own. And we can do NOTHING, no-thing, on our own.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

If we are not abiding in Christ, what are we abiding in? Our own strength? Our own wisdom? Our own satisfaction.

So again, if we know the bible is reliable, why don't we rely on it?

Shame, maybe.
Guilt, perhaps.
Time, sure.

Whatever the reason, there's no greater time to start. Feast on the Bread of Life, enjoy Living Water, and fill up on the One who satisfies!

*I'll share some "how-to study your bible" tips that have helped me next week!

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:9-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment